Re: Some Comments on Sexism in #debian

On 2004-03-22 21:52:52 +0000 Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> wrote:

I don't want people to say "this might be suboptimal" instead of "this
is crap", because then I won't be able to tell the difference between
things that are crap and things that are suboptimal. I *want* to know
when something is crap, because it needs priority attention.

Actually, both statements are about as useless, on the level of "I like this book because it is good". I want to know why something is bad, because then we can fix it.

Everything else follows from there. People who can't call
things by their real names are not useful.

Some people disagree about what is the real name for a thing. However, this isn't about that.

Some effort not to obviously offend a significant number of people is worth doing if you want to collaborate with them. Trying to pre-guess everyone isn't. I think I'd like to have more users who will collaborate with me, rather than rely on me or follow me.

[...] I get far
too much mail from idiot users already.

I think you are so abrasive that only an idiot user would send you mail. They don't all have the rhino-hide that DDs are expected to grow.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ slef@jabber.at