Re: Just a single Question for the Candidates

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 08:37:54AM +0000, Peter Samuelson wrote:
Gentlemen treat women with greater gentleness and with less
expectation than they do their fellow men.  A gentleman, for
instance, would not think to lift a fellow man over a rain puddle,
but would instantly offer such assistance to a lady.

I know it has not escaped your notice, since you mentioned it earlier,
that while some women enjoy the "perks" of your way of thinking, others
find it insulting.  I imagine you have heard the saying, "A gentleman
never wounds unintentionally."

You seem to have overlooked the last word of that sentence,
"unintentionally".  Gentlemen do wound intentionally when necessary.
Their role is to uphold the orderliness and civility of society.  They
are polite by preference, but devastating when need be.

Obvious corollary: to qualify as a "gentleman", you ought to be able to
tell the difference between those two types of women, and respond
accordingly.

And I did respond; perhaps you didn't see it.  It is obvious that
Erinn/helix wants the perks of being one of the boys, but wants to be
treated like a lady too.  This is an impossibility, so she has to make
up her mind which one she prefers.  Either she puts up with the
"harassment" as part of being one of the boys, or we all act like
gentlemen, acknowledging her true desire, and treat her like a lady
despite her protests that she doesn't want to be treated like one.

Take your pick; either choice is fine with me.

That you seem completely unable to do so makes clear, if it wasn't
already, your own hypocrisy and pompousness.

Do you have a dictionary?  I'm not quite sure what those big words mean.
Perhaps you'd be so good as to explain them, and how you determine when
they apply to someone.

Cheerio!

Jonathan

--
Address: 13685 Hilton Road, Surrey, BC V3R5J8 (Canada)
Contact: 604-951-4142 (between 7am and 10pm, PST)