Re: Proposed transition plan for non-free and call for help

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 09:25:32AM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 08:15:42PM +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 07:48:20PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > > What about recomends and suggests of contrib or non-free packages from
> > > debian/main ?
> >
> > How should it handle it?
>
> Well, i would say that recomends and suggests from packages in the
> debian distribution to packages in non-free are allowed, but not
> depends, as it currently the case.

I was under the impression that we only allow Suggests: on non-free
packages.

> This is a problem though, since some see this as debian advertizing
> non-free, or thighly tying this new non-free.org to debian, which some
> find a hatefull thing.

This might be true. However, it has nothing to do with either this GR or
non-free.org. If Debian at large or the maintainers of main packages do
not want to Suggest: non-free packages anymore, so be it. I believe this
is a social issue, not a technical one.

Giving the user the choice whether they want to see suggestions of
non-free packages seems like a good idea in general to me, though.

Michael

--
Michael Banck
Debian Developer