Re: Proposal - Free the Debian Open Use logo

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 06:30:20 +0100 (CET), Peter Karlsson
<peter@softwolves.pp.se> said:

> Simon Law:
>> That's because all these people are using it acceptable.  But that
>> doesn't mean that our logo is _free software_.  For reference,
>> please read the debian-legal thread I linked to.

> To me the argument falls flat here before it even starts: the
> logotype isn't software, and can't be treated as such, even less
> than documentation can be treated as software (which also is quite
> an absurd notion).

	Software, as the scope of the DFSG, is everything in the
 "Work" that is not hardware or wetware.

> What's up next, claiming that the names of authors and package
> maintainers are software, and that they are freely changeable by
> anyone? And license statements?

	There are laws governing slander and misrepresentation; you do
 not need special protection to save you from that.  Why should I not
 be able to take Plato's republic, change somethings around, and call
 it Manoj's republic?

	The license is special; in that it is what grants us the right
 to use the work; and sits separately from the work itself. We are
 also required, under the law, to distribute the license as such, or
 lose our right to distribute the works at all.

	manoj
--
"You tried it just for once, found it alright for kicks, but now you
find out you have a habit that sticks, you're an orgasm addict, you're