Re: Updated installer images 2020-12-02

Hi,

On 12/28/20 9:51 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
You should try to install one of the Yaboot images to make sure there is no problem
with your machine.
That could be a check to perform... where is the last working yaboot image to be found?
See: https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/10.0/

If I install one of those images, yaboot gets installed and gets loaded at reboot, although boot finally fails with "unknown or corrupt filesystem" when loading the kernel. I used standard partitioning.

Maybe I am bitten by the fact that the installer partitioned ext4 root, but yaboot doesn't know about it. I will retry with a separate /boot

I did a very minimal install, only system utilities, since there are no "sid" repositories and the installer will try to find sid even if a port mirror is given as URL.

Still, I think it is "proof enough", yaboot gets loaded - the same thing should happen to GRUB.

Also, this allowed me another important test: if "alt" is hit at boot, one hard disk is shown with a Penguin - this means that OpenFirmware sees the partition as bootable.

Does your iBook G4 run GRUB and does the same? I cannot access mine right now due to lockdown restrictions.

Riccardo