Re: Updated installer images 2020-12-02

Hi!

On 12/27/20 2:49 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
You are confusing hfsprogs and hfsutils. The former is actually missing on the FTP
server.

The confusion arises because I found this in the logs:

Dec 25 15:29:46 in-target: hfsutils: not found
Dec 25 15:29:46 in-target:
Dec 25 15:29:47 mk-hfs-bootstrap: `hformat -l "NewWorld Bootblock" "/dev/sda2"' failed with non-zero exit value (127)! Cannot continue. Exiting.

- download hfsutils (a compatible version with May 30)
You need to install hfsprogs manually from here:

http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian-ports/20131024T131048Z/pool-ppc64/main/h/hfsprogs/hfsprogs_332.25-11_ppc64.deb
The package is currently not installable because Debian Ports has no support for
non-free at the moment. Something that I cannot change but the Debian Ports FTP
admins can change.ù

Inconvenient, those hfsprogs are very old, I needed also an old version of openssl:

http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian-ports/20131024T131048Z/pool-ppc64/main/o/openssl/libssl1.0.0_1.0.1e-3_ppc64.deb

it wants multiarch support too which I could't find, so I just forced it. This way I could indeed run, when in rescuemode on chroot in the targetroot

hformat -l "NewWorld Bootblock" "/dev/sda2"'

but now? If I try to run "grub-installer" in a rescue shell (not in target root) it fails because grub-proble fails to get the canonical path of rootfs and /boot . Maybe it needs some options?

If, instead, from the rescue menu I run the "install grub boot loader", the behaviour is quite "stupid" IMO.

The installer insists running the "installing the base system" step, I let it do but on a "pre-existing" partition (since I want to rescue, not reinstall, also because I have hfsutils manually installed there). Base install will fail, since a file is existing. I cannot install from the menu. Quite braindead... the installer tries to be too smart!

Frustrating, I must say.

Riccardo