Re: [PPC64] Partman doesn't recognize our partitions

On 10/07/2017 11:30 PM, Christian Zigotzky wrote:
I was able to boot the new initrd with the latest stable kernel 4.13.5.
Unfortunately partman stops at 50%. Hw-detect isn't the problem.
Maybe another script???

If you are still using your own kernel with the initrd from debian-installer,
I'm not surprised if you are still running into strange problems.

The kernel modules from d-i's initrd don't match the kernel ABI of your own,
custom kernel 4.13.5 kernel. Many kernel features of the Debian kernel are
compiled as modules and dynamically used during the installation.

So, depending on how your custom kernel has been configured, there are
many potential pitfalls that you can run into and as long you are not
using the stock Debian kernel, it's really difficult to resolve your
issues.

As I mentioned earlier, partman is build on top of libparted which is the
standard partitioning software on Linux. parted supports any partition
tables that the Linux kernel currently supports (as far as I know, I added
support for Atari partition tables myself, one of the types that was missing),
so I am confident that your issues are a result of missing features in
parted and partman.

It would probably best to rebuild the Debian stock kernel with the patches
required for your specific hardware. Then use those kernel packages to
build a custom debian-installer image which is then in turn used to build
custom Debian installation images. This is admittedly quite some work but
shows how important it is to get your patches upstreamed in the Linux
kernel.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz