Re: Debian 8 on Late 2005 G5, Graphics Issues

Hi Peter,

I get it.  What you describe is in the plans — and thanks very much for the detailed directions; it’s pretty much what I had planned to do myself, but it’s always nice to have confirmation.  Actually, even better, I plan to re-install with stock-out-of-the-box Jessie plus your tweaked kernel.  The only reason I had Sid installed at all was my search for a working nouveau.

The reason for the previous test was because it was easy to do and I (mis-)interpreted you as wanting to know how that particular combination worked out in my case.  Sorry for the noise!

Now that we have a working theory as to why nouveau fails, I’m happy to use a supported stable (Jessie) system with a slightly tweaked kernel — rather than an avowedly unstable setup with a stock kernel that doesn’t have a prayer of working.

In the long run, somebody (with better kernel coding skills than me) needs to fix the nouveau driver to work with 64K pagesize.  However, I suspect that will be considerably harder than configuring the current kernel to use 4K pagesize, as a short-term workaround.

I’ll definitely report on how things work on my hardware with your kernel, but it will have to wait til after the weekend.  4th of July == US Independence Day == lots of neighborhood/family/etc parties and celebrations == no time for playing with computers.

I’m looking forward to sending a report soon!
Rick