Re: Debian 8 on Late 2005 G5, Graphics Issues

Rick,
You cant get nouveau working with your current kernel. Period.
It doesn't matter what kernel options or module options you pass, nouveau with acceleration just doesn't currently work with a 64kb pagesize kernel.

You are falling back to the openfirmware framebuffer. I have told you to disable nouveau because it just wont work with your current kernel config for xorg, but for the console it doesnt matter.

Please install the kernel deb package for 3.18.16 i have provided from the link i have given previously.
It has been configured to work immediately without requiring any kernel options appended and even doesnt require an xorg config.

The beauty of KMS!

After installing the kernel deb files, create a new kernel boot entry in yaboot.conf and run "ybin -v" afterwards. Make sure you re-enable nouveau by taking it off the blacklist and only add modules "snd-aoa-i2sbus" and "i2c-powermac" to /etc/modules. This should get audio along with windfarm running. Update your initrd by running "update-initramfs -u".

Reboot to the 3.18.16 kernel you just installed. It should just work!

If you are hell bent on getting the latest kernel running, i can try building the absolute latest stable kernel. The most recent one i have tried successfully  is 4.0.2 but if you want something even newer, ill look into it.

Cheers,
Peter

Install the kernel