Re: Multicore kernel

On 04/19/2011 11:01 AM, Slackware wrote:

> Download site doesn't list any smp iso's. Using xfce cd image.

Which distribution/version do you use? Where did you download this "xfce
cd image" from?

> But if all I need is rebuild my own kernel with smp support it shouldn't be
> a major problem.

There is definitely linux-image-2.6-powerpc-smp kernel in Debian! It may
not be installed by default, but you surely can install it later.

> I did find out last night that part of the booting problem is the pc scsi
> card (dual channel 160 adaptec). The card will not boot, but the mac scsi
> will boot, but appears to hand off the booting to the other scsi drive at
> stage two.

HD controller must have a specific Mac support in its firmware to be
able to boot a Mac machine. Not even all controllers sold by Apple have
such support.

> This is almost as frustrating as free bsd back in the early 90's.  Learned a
> lot from all the failed attempts to though.

Do not use PC controllers in PPC Mac hardware. Download the latest
official stable Debian install CD for PPC, it will just work.

Milan