Re: getting wireless and dvi out (clone mode) to work on iBook G4 - help needed, plz

On Sat, Nov 24 2007, at 03:20 -0500, P Kapat wrote:

> @Wolfgang: thanks for the file,
> but I couldn't see anything specific to a dual monitor setup (at least
> in clone mode) in there. I think I did not make my self clear -

My bad: You clearly wrote of an xorg.conf for clone mode. Attached is
an xorg.conf I probably was using for display cloning for a few tests
last year. I hope it helps ... but no guarantees ... :)

As indicated earlier here: Please note that this cumbersome method
isn't needed anymore. With the fresh ati driver from experimental that
I mentioned in this thread display cloning should be much easier. And
if my lousy memory doesn't serve me too badly even the technical
advantages of the new driver supersede the old method via the attached
xorg.conf by far.

> I was (and still am) looking for a xorg.conf with
> "working-dual-display" settings in it. But none-the-less your file
> was a good starting point.  I added the "mergedFB" recomendations
> from Javier's (Orlando?) link http://ozlabs.org/~jk/docs/mergefb/ to
> have two sections each for Device, Monitor and Screen.
>
> The DVI -> VGA out display is not entirely satsifactory. The image
> that I see on the external moonitor is extremely low on contrast and
> the colors are completely screwed. Anyting bold is nicely visible but
> the rest are all hazy, black is gray, none of the background colors
> (desktop/webpages) are displayed, anything in light colors is
> invisible.

See? Does this seem to confirm what I said above on the new driver
superseding etc. etc. ... ?

As a sidenote - and please forgive me if you already know that - if
you run Debian testing/unstable/experimental and if you have some
second computer with Linux on it, I'd set up ssh for both machines: If
your unstable system crashes - which can happen, especially on X - in
many cases you might still be able to login to a it via ssh from a
second computer and shut it down cleanly ...
Such crashes do not happen too often on my system. But if it does I'm
always glad to have a second Linux machine for a little ssh walk on
the crashed computer .. :)

Good luck!
Best Regards

Wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer: /ICQ: 286585973/ + + +  /AIM: crashinglinux/
http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer

Key: 0xE3037113
http://keyserver.mine.nu/pks/lookup?search=0xE3037113&fingerprint=on
# xorg.conf.dpkg-new (Xorg X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf.dpkg-new manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf.dpkg-new" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following commands as root:
#
#   cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.dpkg-new /etc/X11/xorg.conf.dpkg-new.custom
#   md5sum /etc/X11/xorg.conf.dpkg-new >/var/lib/xfree86/xorg.conf.dpkg-new.md5sum
#   dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Section "Files"

	# see http://wiki.debian.org/Xorg69To7:
	# FontPath	"unix/:7100"			# local font server
	# if the local font server has problems, we can fall back on these
	FontPath	"/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
#	FontPath	"/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic"
	FontPath	"/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"
#	FontPath	"/usr/share/fonts/X11/CID"
	FontPath	"/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi"
	FontPath	"/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"
	FontPath	"/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi:unscaled"
	FontPath	"/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi:unscaled"
#	FontPath	"/usr/share/fonts/truetype"
	FontPath	"/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
EndSection

Section "Module"
	Load	"GLcore"
	Load	"i2c"
	Load	"bitmap"
	Load	"dbe"
	Load	"ddc"
	Load	"dri"
	Load	"extmod"
	Load	"freetype"
	Load	"glx"
	Load	"int10"
	Load	"record"
	Load	"type1"
	Load	"v4l"
	Load	"vbe"
	Load	"evdev"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
	Driver		"kbd"
	Option		"CoreKeyboard"
	Option		"XkbRules"	"xorg"
	Option		"XkbModel"	"macintosh"
	Option		"XkbLayout"	"de"
	Option		"XkbVariant"	"nodeadkeys"
	Option		"XkbOptions"	"lv3:lwin_switch"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"CorePointer"
	Option		"Device"		"/dev/input/mice"
	Option		"Protocol"		"ImPS/2"
	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"false"
	Option		"ZAxisMapping"		"4 5"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Synaptics Touchpad"
	Driver		"synaptics"
	Option		"SendCoreEvents"	"true"
	Option		"Device"		"/dev/input/mice"
	Option		"Protocol"		"auto-dev"
	Option		"LeftEdge"		"0"
	Option		"RightEdge"		"850"
	Option		"TopEdge"		"0"
	Option		"BottomEdge"		"645"
	Option		"MinSpeed"		"0.4"
	Option		"MaxSpeed"		"1"
	Option		"AccelFactor"		"0.02"
	Option		"FingerLow"		"55"
	Option		"FingerHigh"		"60"
	Option		"MaxTapMove"		"20"
	Option		"MaxTapTime"		"100"
	Option		"HorizScrollDelta"	"0"
	Option		"VertScrollDelta"	"30"
	Option		"SHMConfig"		"on"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"ATI Radeon 9600 [Internal]"
	Driver		"radeon"
	BusID		"PCI:0:16:0"
#	Option		"UseFBDev"		"true"
	Option          "MergedFB"		"true"
#	Option          "RenderAccel"           "true"
#	Option		"AccelMethod"           "EXA"
#	Option		"AGPSize" "16"
#	Option		"AGPMode" "4"
#	Option		"EnablePageFlip"
        Option		"DRIReinit"             "true"
#        Option		"BackingStore"          "True"
	Option		"MergedDPI" "100 100"
        Option		"MetaModes"		"1440x960 1440x960-1024x768 1024x768-1024x768"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "ATI Radeon 9600 [External VGA]"
        Driver          "radeon"
        BusID           "PCI:0:16:0"
	Screen		1
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"Color LCD"
        Option		"DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "VGA"
        Option          "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Default Screen"
	Device		"ATI Radeon 9600 [Internal]"
	Monitor		"Color LCD"
	DefaultDepth	24
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           24
                Modes           "1440x960" "1280x800" "1152x720" "1024x768" "1024x640" "800x500" "720x480"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "External Screen"
        Device          "ATI Radeon 9600 [External VGA]"
        Monitor         "VGA"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           24