Re: Beryl on iBook g4

On 08-Jun-2007 06:59.13 (BST), Jack Malmostoso wrote:
 > > With 32MB (Radeon 9200)
 > > I had to hack around DRI limits to run Beryl at 1240x1024 and then it
 > > chockes an more than few windows.
 > As I said, I use compiz and not beryl. I always had the feeling that
 > Beryl was more cpu and gpu intensive. I suggest you try compiz instead.

Actually, I find compiz quite clunky (Radeon 9250 on 1GHz G4 machine).

Beryl seems to behave itself much more, but because of the lack of Debian
packages and wanting to keep up-to-date with unstable, I use metacity
instead.

If the iBook has a Radeon M10, that's an r300 series GPU. I found compiz and
beryl to be particularly slow on the opensource r300_dri driver, and that's
on an Athlon 64 4000+ with a Radeon X850XT.

--
rob andrews                       :: pgp 0x01e00563 :: rob@choralone.org