Re: Problems with Dial-up on Old World Mac

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 07:25:30PM -0500, jrolland@wiremail.org wrote:
> The output of nbplkup is null. It doesn't appear to be sending traffic
> though the localnet.
>
> One interesting point is that I sometimes have my iBook running OS 10.4.8
> hooked up via ethernet to an ethernet switch (which the ethernet switch is
> then hooked up to the 7500 and to the AsanteTalk bridge) and I am unable
> to see the iBook via nbplkup or any other means from  Debian, I am unable
> to see the Debian box from "Browse Network" in the iBook, but if I choose
> "Connect to Server" and input the Debian box's IP address in the iBook, I
> *am* able to log into the Debian box, which acts as an AppleTalk server. I
> dunno if that has any bearing, but just in case it might ...

It's possible that you don't have the appletalk protocol setup correctly
for some reason. The afpd process will run just fine and serve files over
an IP based connection even without appletalk. Check to see if the process
atalkd is running, and if the appletalk module is loaded into the kernel.

$ ps auxww | grep atalkd | grep -v grep
root      4051  0.0  0.0  2028  692 ?        S    Oct04   0:00 /usr/sbin/atalkd
$ lsmod | grep appletalk
appletalk              54356  20

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com