Re: Nonsense at boot-time: "On battery power, so skipping file system check"

Hi All

On Mon, Oct 16 2006, at 11:22 +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-10-15 at 00:01 +0200, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 14 2006, at 13:04 +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> > >
> > > It's a long standing kernel issue, not sure why you're only seeing it
> > > now.
> >
> > Long standing? I didn't find this error on Google even one single
> > time. I've checked that a few times before I wrote my first mail in
> > this thread, IIRC ...
>
> It's been reported on the linuxppc-dev list a couple of times in the
> last months (or years?).

My bad, if I skip messages in my linuxppc-dev mailbox. I'm not quite
sure whether this is the cure:
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/linuxppc/patch?id=7231

But I'll probably test that in the next few days ...

              [ ... ]

> > The tibook is on AC, battery removed, and this is what it tells me:

> > $ cat /proc/pmu/info
> > PMU driver version     : 2
> > PMU firmware version   : 0c
> > AC Power               : 0
> > Battery count          : 1
>
> [...]
>
> > But the debian packages versions on both machines differ.
>
> As you'll note above, the kernel on the TiBook also thinks there is a
> battery but no AC, so the difference indeed seems to be in the boot
> scripts.

Perhaps it might be a good idea to suggest some change for the
script(s?) triggering fsck on boot time, via a wish-list bug
report. Some entry in a new file like 'fsck', or whatever, in
/etc/default, where a user could set to force the check no matter
whether AC or battery is feeding the machine ...

That is, even if the kernel behaves well: if there was a crash users
had when the machine was on AC, and if they reboot the machine next
time only with the battery as power supply, and without AC, fsck
should be run ... There are probably lots of other situations where
always forcing the check might be a good idea ...

Anything I missed? Provided that no:

Anyone willing to wish-list that? :) If someone does, please CC this
list (or at least me) so I don't have to do that ...  :)

Michel: Thanks: With your knowledge and my persistence we'll get that
issue straight ... :)

Best Regards
Wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer: /ICQ: 286585973/ + + +  /AIM: crashinglinux/
http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer

Key ID: E3037113
http://keyserver.mine.nu/pks/lookup?search=0xE3037113&fingerprint=on