Re: Nonsense at boot-time: "On battery power, so skipping file system check"

Benjamin Berg wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-12-10 at 21:44 +0200, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Here: Powerbook5,8 - on unstable
> same here.

Something weirder on PowerBook5,2 - unstable...

>> The error disappears if I connect the battery to the machine, while
>> still running it on AC.
>>
>> I'm not sure whether the following error might have to do with the
>> problem (It seems this happens no matter the battery is inserted to
>> the machine or not):
> [...]
>> It might be a hardware failure. But after the last upgrades the first
>> suspect for me would be some software ...
>>
>> Resetting PMU is only the very last option: This will most certainly
>> destroy the correct date, thus invalidating the calibrated time
>> system.
>
> Seeing the same thing here, a quick look after booting with the battery
> removed shows:
> $ cat /proc/pmu/info
> PMU driver version     : 2
> PMU firmware version   : 11
> AC Power               : 0
> Battery count          : 1

AC on, battery on:

$ cat /proc/pmu/info
PMU driver version     : 2
PMU firmware version   : 0c
AC Power               : 1
Battery count          : 1

AC on, Battery removed (surprise):

$ cat /proc/pmu/info
PMU driver version     : 2
PMU firmware version   : 0c
AC Power               : 1
Battery count          : 1

Yes, is the same thing :-/

> As you can see, it says that the laptop is not connected to AC. So there
> is obviously something wrong here.

What about what's wrong *here* ? :-)

> After I insert the battery everything works as expected. I am running a
> 2.6.18-rc2-git1 kernel here.

$ uname -r
2.6.18-1-powerpc

Running the official Debian kernel:

$ LANG=C apt-cache policy linux-image-2.6.18-1-powerpc
linux-image-2.6.18-1-powerpc:
  Installed: 2.6.18-2
  Candidate: 2.6.18-2
  Version table: