Re: Nonsense at boot-time: "On battery power, so skipping file system check"

On Sun, 2006-10-15 at 00:01 +0200, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 14 2006, at 13:04 +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> >
> > It's a long standing kernel issue, not sure why you're only seeing it
> > now.
>
> Long standing? I didn't find this error on Google even one single
> time. I've checked that a few times before I wrote my first mail in
> this thread, IIRC ...

It's been reported on the linuxppc-dev list a couple of times in the
last months (or years?).

> > Maybe the file system check just used to run regardless of AC or
> > battery power?
>
> At least I've noticed this the first times. I assume I would have seen
> the error message much earlier if it actually were there. Simply
> because I often have at least a glance at the fast running boot
> messages when starting the system ... And seeing a fsck being skipped
> would always have meant a red alert for me. I'd bet ... :)
>
> BTW: After your message I checked my TiBookIV: Exactly the same kernel
> (built on the alubook, IIRC) on it does not show the error messages about
> skipping fsck because on battery power ... I've
> just testet it:
>
> The tibook is on AC, battery removed, and this is what it tells me:

> $ cat /proc/pmu/info
> PMU driver version     : 2
> PMU firmware version   : 0c
> AC Power               : 0
> Battery count          : 1

[...]

> But the debian packages versions on both machines differ.

As you'll note above, the kernel on the TiBook also thinks there is a
battery but no AC, so the difference indeed seems to be in the boot
scripts.