Re: xkb-data with support for Mac keyboards into unstable

Hi All

On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 01:32:06PM +0000, Jörg Sommer wrote:
> Hi Wolfgang,
>
> Wolfgang Pfeiffer <roto@gmx.net> wrote:

> >> It's a Apple keyboard. Don't use it, if you don't like it.
> >
> > With logics like this I could say: This is Linux. Go get OSX if you
> > want an Apple keyboard.
>
> No. Linux and OS X are software. A keyboard is hardware. It's the same
> thing with mice. Don't buy an Apple mouse if you want more than one key.

Are you sure? .. :) Actually Denis with his various versions of
xkb-data, and the different key-mappings over these last 2 or 3 weeks
is actively proving my idea that a keyboard mostly and by large
parts is actually software, although (when we type) we have the feel
it's not.

But I believe that's a sub-topic (although admittedly a very
interesting one) ...

> If I sit in front of a keyboard with an Apple logo, I expect an Apple
> keyboard. If I see the @ sign engraved on the L key, I expect I get it
> when I press Modifier+L.

No problem. It's probably simply a matter of taste, or one of the
habits we got accustomed to.

> Which problems do you have, when you load the pc105 layout? Aren't it work?

Exactly. Currently I've loaded xkb-data 0.8-14, and with that version
as with the previous one I basically can use only 2 models:
"powerbook" or "pc105": pc105 seems broken. With 'powerbook' at least
I find the keys I need.

On a PowerBook5,8:

setxkbmap -option -rules xorg -model pc105 -layout de -variant nodeadkeys -option apple:badmap  -print | xkbcomp - :0

With this last one-liner I have neither an 'at' sign, nor AltGr, no
Mode_switch, no ISO_Level3_Shift. (Tho I' did not explore the
<Alt_L>-<1-9> keys, as I have shortcuts mapped for them for KDE)

Leaving away the "nodeadkeys" variant also does not help.

With the pc105 setting:

$ setxkbmap -print
xkb_keymap {
        xkb_keycodes  { include "macintosh+aliases(qwertz)"     };
        xkb_types     { include "complete+numpad(mac)"  };
        xkb_compat    { include "complete"      };
        xkb_symbols   { include "pc+macintosh_vndr/de(nodeadkeys)+inet(apple)+level3(lwin_switch)"      };
        xkb_geometry  { include "macintosh(macintosh)"  };
};

Where I expect AltGr or Mode_Switch is either nothing or
Kp_Enter. Actually the PC105 choice is more Macintosh-like than
anything I had before.

Choosing the powerbook model helps:
setxkbmap -option -rules xorg -model powerbook -layout de -option apple:badmap  -print | xkbcomp - :0

With the latter I have an ISO_Level3_Shift instead of Kp_Enter left of
the arrow "Left" key, which helps me get an 'at' on 'L', a bar sign left of
the 'Y' key, etc ... Great ...

$ setxkbmap -print
xkb_keymap {
        xkb_keycodes  { include "macintosh+aliases(qwertz)"     };
        xkb_types     { include "complete+numpad(mac)"  };
        xkb_compat    { include "complete"      };
        xkb_symbols   { include "pc+macintosh_vndr/de(nodeadkeys)+inet(apple)+level3(lwin_switch)"      };
        xkb_geometry  { include "macintosh(macintosh)"  };
}

Not being sure whether this is normal that I get the same
"setxkbmap -print" output with different setxkbmap settings
like above.

So I'm editing symbols/macintosh_vndr/de currently ... I will surely
have what I want :) ..

Best Regards
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer: /ICQ: 286585973/ + + +  /AIM: crashinglinux/
http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer

Key ID: E3037113
http://keyserver.mine.nu/pks/lookup?search=0xE3037113&fingerprint=on