Re: xkb-data with support for Mac keyboards into unstable

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 11:15:43AM +0000, Jörg Sommer wrote:
> Hallo Helge,
>
> Helge Kreutzmann <kreutzm@itp.uni-hannover.de> wrote:
> > So the following still needs to be done for a german ibook keyboard:
> >
> > 1. When pressing the key between ß? and backspace, I still get
> >    nothing, while I expect ' as printed on the key. With the shift
> >    modifier it works. This is keycode 21.
>
> It's a dead key. Press a 'e' after it and you get é. The ' is definitive
> the wrong character!
>
> > 2. The AltGr-Bracket sequence is still "wrong", i.e. I would like the
> >    PC style version,
>
> Then configure a PC style keyboard. Use pc105 instead of macintosh.

"Problem" so far: I'm happy with what I have with the latest xkb-data
here .. :)

I always get either a wonderful, fully fledged PC style keyboard, but
I never managed to get a, for me rather useless, Macintosh style
keyboard, with a Kp_Enter key and so on ..

Colin: Is it impossible with xkb-data 0.8-13 to set up a typical
Macintosh keyboard on Powerbooks, with Jobs' mappings for \ } ] [ {,
and KP_Enter left of the Arrow_Left key etc. .... ?

> >    i.e. (starting at AltGR-7) {[]}\ while I get (starting at AltGr-5)
> >    []|{}}\. This behaviour should be switchable. Also I still wonder
> >    why "}" is on AltGr-9 *and* AltGr-0.
> >
> > 3. AltGr-Q still produces "«" and not "@"
>
> It's a Apple keyboard. Don't use it, if you don't like it.

With logics like this I could say: This is Linux. Go get OSX if you
want an Apple keyboard.

So I'd suggest we try to work it out. Instead of leaving people with
no other choices than either eating what they don't like, or going away
and buy another computer/using another OS.

Colin: Is there anything already decided in how the future keyboard
layouts on xkb-data, for Apple machines, will look like: PC-style, or
Apple style, or options for both of them?

Thanks in anticipation ..

Best Regards
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer: /ICQ: 286585973/ + + +  /AIM: crashinglinux/
http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer

Key ID: E3037113
http://keyserver.mine.nu/pks/lookup?search=0xE3037113&fingerprint=on