Re: Installing java plugin in Mozilla?

Well, I did get the right version of java-package installed so I could create a .deb for the IBM java release. However, now when I run a check to test java -version, I get an error saying it cannot find the jvm.

When I created j2re1.4 or j2sdk1.4 the command worked. I don't know if the 1.5 version requires the installation under the /opt as documented on the web sit. The Debian packages I created are being installed under /usr/lib.

Perhaps I can set up a link to /opt? I'm new to linux/unix and find the documentation confusing. I see that Wolfgang also has it installed in /usr/lib so maybe I just need to set up $PATH correctly and use the ln command Wolfgang provided.

Terry

On Mar 19, 2006, at 2:03 PM, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:

On Sun, Mar 19, 2006 at 02:19:37PM +0100, Alejandro Muñoz Fernández wrote:
Terry Shannon dijo:

|  I did learn alot today.  How to create a deb package from another
| archive. The file is in the IBM jre 1.5 archive, so I may give that a | try, although the java-package 0.24 doesn't list it as supported. Guess
|  I could update to 0.27, been there today and done that.

Hi!

I've successfully installed "ibm-java2-sdk-50-linux-ppc.tgz" a long time ago and it's got a java browser plugin, but it's still a bit buggy because some
applets fail.

That's what I did to make the plugin work on my computer (after installing
ibm-java2-sdk-50-linux-ppc.tgz):

1) I made a sym link from
/opt/ibm-java2-ppc-50/jre/bin/libjavaplugin_oji.so to
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
and  /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

.. aditionally -- not being sure about it -- I think here, on Debian
unstable it was a good idea to also create a symlink to
mozilla-snapshot:

ln -s --force -i /usr/lib/j2sdk1.5-ibm/jre/bin/ libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla-snapshot/plugins/ javaplugin_oji.so

2) Then, I executed:

# update-alternatives --config java

and chose /opt/ibm-java2-ppc-50/bin/java

It works if I use Konqueror, Mozilla and Firefox, but it doesn't if I use
Opera.

Yes, same being true here for Konqueror, Mozilla and Firefox (I don't
have Opera installed), but I also had to add the Java path to my
~/.bash_profile: The $PATH setting now looks like this in there:

PATH=/usr/lib/j2sdk1.5-ibm/jre/bin/:~/bin:"${PATH}"

After installing the debianised package please also see
file:///usr/lib/j2sdk1.5-ibm/docs/en/ sdkandruntimeguide.lnx.en.htm#pathcons
for this.

You can try to make theese steps, close the browser, and open it again to make
it rescan de plugins and go to the java test page
(http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml) to check if it works.

Positive. Konqueror, Mozilla and Firefox all work with the page above
and the IBM Java ... :) (Except that I didn't even have to restart
Firefox to see a working Java. IIRC ... :)

And for those intending to install a debianised package (probably will
will make things much easier) of the IBM Java tarball. Something like:

fakeroot make-jpkg --full-name "Your Name" --email your@email -- changes ibm-java2-sdk-50-linux-ppc.tgz

HTH

Best Regards
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer: /ICQ: 286585973/ + + +  /AIM: crashinglinux/
http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer

Key ID: E3037113
http://keyserver.mine.nu/pks/lookup?search=0xE3037113&fingerprint=on