Re: Installing java plugin in Mozilla?

On Sun, Mar 19, 2006 at 02:19:37PM +0100, Alejandro Muñoz Fernández wrote:
> Terry Shannon dijo:
> |  I did learn alot today.  How to create a deb package from another
> |  archive.  The file is in the IBM jre 1.5 archive, so I may give that a
> |  try, although the java-package 0.24 doesn't list it as supported.  Guess
> |  I could update to 0.27, been there today and done that.
> Hi!
> I've successfully installed "ibm-java2-sdk-50-linux-ppc.tgz" a long time ago
> and it's got a java browser plugin, but it's still a bit buggy because some
> applets fail.
> That's what I did to make the plugin work on my computer (after installing
> ibm-java2-sdk-50-linux-ppc.tgz):
> 1) I made a sym link from
> /opt/ibm-java2-ppc-50/jre/bin/libjavaplugin_oji.so to
> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
> and  /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

.. aditionally -- not being sure about it -- I think here, on Debian
unstable it was a good idea to also create a symlink to

ln -s --force -i /usr/lib/j2sdk1.5-ibm/jre/bin/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla-snapshot/plugins/javaplugin_oji.so

> 2) Then, I executed:
> # update-alternatives --config java
> and chose /opt/ibm-java2-ppc-50/bin/java
> It works if I use Konqueror, Mozilla and Firefox, but it doesn't if I use
> Opera.

Yes, same being true here for Konqueror, Mozilla and Firefox (I don't
have Opera installed), but I also had to add the Java path to my
~/.bash_profile: The $PATH setting now looks like this in there:

After installing the debianised package please also see
for this.

> You can try to make theese steps, close the browser, and open it again to make
> it rescan de plugins and go to the java test page
> (http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml) to check if it works.

Positive. Konqueror, Mozilla and Firefox all work with the page above
and the IBM Java ... :) (Except that I didn't even have to restart
Firefox to see a working Java. IIRC ... :)

And for those intending to install a debianised package (probably will
will make things much easier) of the IBM Java tarball. Something like:

fakeroot make-jpkg --full-name "Your Name" --email your@email --changes ibm-java2-sdk-50-linux-ppc.tgz

Best Regards

Wolfgang Pfeiffer: /ICQ: 286585973/ + + +  /AIM: crashinglinux/

Key ID: E3037113