Re: bootable cds on oldworld [was Re: Backing an HFS partition]

vinai schrieb:

On Fri, 27 May 2005, Rainer Gutkas wrote:

I try to get miboot working on a G3 Powerbook Wallstreet for a while now. So this Pb has got a 2 Gig harddisk and spending 100-200 MB's for a MacOs Bottloader seems like a big waste for me. Actually evry MB I can save is of great worth. But actually I didn't manage to get it right until now, so if you can give me suggestions what I could do to get miboot up and running
(for a linux only booting system) it would be great!

I don't have any experience with miBoot - just with BootX, and a little
with yaboot.  I've been trying to get my 8500 "off mac os 9" (similar to
your case) without success.

I also heard/read somewhere a while back that there were licensing
issues with miBoot, which prevented it being included with Debian.  I
was just wondering what the source of those issues were, and if they
were any closer to being resolved ... ?

vinai

There is some kind of miboot included within bootx, but I couldn't figure out how to configure it. I've gotta search my archives, because I got an article on how to do it somewhere but actually I couldn't figure it out all the way. My main problem was how I could copy it to the harddisk, and which part I should copy, the directory or the image, because they included the same stuff (except that the image is included in the miboot directory), but the image is too small to host a kernel.....
But I can't believe there ain't a better way than bootx....

Yours,

Rainer
begin:vcard
fn:Rainer Gutkas
n:Gutkas;Rainer
adr;quoted-printable:;;Kleiststr. 36;St.P=C3=B6lten;;A-3100;Austria
email;internet:rainer.gutkas@kstp.at
title:Bakk. techn. (B.Sc.)
version:2.1
end:vcard