Re: bootable cds on oldworld [was Re: Backing an HFS partition]

vinai schrieb:

On Fri, 27 May 2005, Hans Ekbrand wrote:

Can the mklinux CD:s boot oldworld macs? If so, you could perhaps copy
the partitions on the mklinux CD instead of copywrited Apple ones?

Yes - they most certainly can.  I started off playing with linux on the
power pc with Mk Linux on a 7500.  I don't know if it will boot a NuBus
machine though.  The other issue is, I think the drivers on those CDs
are still the property of Apple.  Remember Mk Linux came from, and for
a while, was supported by Apple.

I think in the realm of truly free loaders (for Mac machines) has only
BootX (though that need MacOS to run), quik, and yaboot.  The verdict
is still out on miBoot.  Can anyone comment on the status of that piece
piece of software ?

cheers
vinai.

I try to get miboot working on a G3 Powerbook Wallstreet for a while now. So this Pb has got a 2 Gig harddisk and spending 100-200 MB's for a MacOs Bottloader seems like a big waste for me. Actually evry MB I can save is of great worth. But actually I didn't manage to get it right until now, so if you can give me suggestions what I could do to get miboot up and running (for a linux only booting system) it would be great!

Yours,

Rainer
begin:vcard
fn:Rainer Gutkas
n:Gutkas;Rainer
adr;quoted-printable:;;Kleiststr. 36;St.P=C3=B6lten;;A-3100;Austria
email;internet:rainer.gutkas@kstp.at
title:Bakk. techn. (B.Sc.)
version:2.1
end:vcard