Re: Backing an HFS partition

On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 05:23:52PM -0300, Gunther Furtado wrote:
> As I am trying to transfer a MacOS8.1 from a bootable hfs iomega zip disk to a
> bootable CD (trying to rescue a Performa630CD). I am having a hard time using
> mkisofs an it made me wonder: is it possible to back up an HFSPlus partition
> from debian? Which tools are available?

You can't use mkisofs to make a CD that is bootable on an oldworld or
nubus based mac. It isn't just a matter of having files on the CD to
be able to boot from it. You need a partition map and drivers on your
CD setup correctly. The zip disk would have its own partition map and
drivers if it is bootable, but those drivers may not be compatible
with being loaded from a CD.

You might want to try burning the entire image of the zip disk
(not just the HFS partition) onto a CD and see if it works. That's
the only thing I can think of that might work. There isn't much
free software support for bootable disks on older macs. Just reading
the files from an HFS or HFS+ filesystem is easy.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com