Re: Help: system crashes on Pismo

Am 15.03.2005 um 16:42 schrieb steinm:

On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 02:33:46PM +0100, Rainer Gutkas wrote:

Am 14.03.2005 um 15:52 schrieb Tamas K Papp:

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 11:11:16AM +0100, Rainer Gutkas wrote:

First I thought it got something to do with connecting via samba to an
Windows share which is actually a USB 2.0 Disk, because this only
happend
when I did this task. But the last crash I didn' even attempt to use
samba
the whole working period. So it happens out of the blue, no time
predictable or anything... It just stops like wanting to say I need a
break.

That is most likely to be a thermal problem.  Once I had a PCMCIA
network card that stopped working after 30 minutes in a particular
room of the house -- it turned out that the temperature was a bit
higher there, and the cooling just could not cope with it.

In the meantime I also do believe that the problem could be of heating
too much. I called the guye who does bigger repairs for me on the PB
and he said no that can't be he never saw a Pismo overheating or having
a broken fan or tempretaure messurement.
He gave blame to the System (Debian) which I don't believe....
I remember having problems with my pismo a couple of month ago with
casual kernel crashes. I first though of a heating problem, because
I had not heart the fan for quite a long time. Well it wasn't. It
finally was fixed by a new kernel (must be around 2.6.5).
After that it worked without problems and the fan hasn't moved a bit
till today. Sometimes I tend to believe the fan is simply broken, but
the system has been quite often under heavy load without any problems,
ever after 4 years of almost daily use.

That's good to hear that it could be something else than a heating problem. The problem is that my kernel is 2.6.8 so newer than the one you told me. So I guess it wasn't that!

  Uwe

--
  MMK GmbH, Universitaetsstr. 11, 58097 Hagen
  Uwe.Steinmann@mmk-hagen.de

Rainer Gutkas
Kleisttraße 36
A-3100 St.Pölten