Re: Help: system crashes on Pismo

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 12:02:04AM +0100, Rainer Gutkas wrote:

> Is it normal that Debian Sarge Crashes after several hours of work?

I don't think it is ;-)

> It does so on my Pismo. So I prefer working under KDE and every now
> and then the System just stops - The screen freeces - no more mouse
> or trackpad support - no more Keyboard - the only thing that seems
> to be alive is the pcmcia network interface, but I can't further
> than to ping it from another maschine. No rlogin no ssh,.. etc., so
> I could restart it ... when it runs normal this is possible.

Can you force quit from X (Ctrl-Alt-Backspace works on my machine, but
only when pbbuttonsd is not running).

> This time it crashed so bad that X won't start anymore, there seem
> to be missing library's .... up to this point it was only minor
> damage ... KDe Settings and unsaved files....

Are you using ext3?  Then this should not happen.

> Anybody got good suggestions what I should do what could be the problem?

Force fsck, reinstall the packages in question.  Can you tell us more
about the error?  Eg does it happen after a more or less predictable
time period using X?  Is the ventillation in your machine OK?  I once
had a problem with a laptop overheating that caused weird crashes.
Try to test memory too.

Tamas