Re: Help: system crashes on Pismo

Am 14.03.2005 um 15:52 schrieb Tamas K Papp:

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 11:11:16AM +0100, Rainer Gutkas wrote:

First I thought it got something to do with connecting via samba to an
Windows share which is actually a USB 2.0 Disk, because this only happend when I did this task. But the last crash I didn' even attempt to use samba
the whole working period. So it happens out of the blue, no time
predictable or anything... It just stops like wanting to say I need a break.

That is most likely to be a thermal problem.  Once I had a PCMCIA
network card that stopped working after 30 minutes in a particular
room of the house -- it turned out that the temperature was a bit
higher there, and the cooling just could not cope with it.

In the meantime I also do believe that the problem could be of heating too much. I called the guye who does bigger repairs for me on the PB and he said no that can't be he never saw a Pismo overheating or having a broken fan or tempretaure messurement.
He gave blame to the System (Debian) which I don't believe....

This could be the clue, so I haven't heard the ventilation for some time now that you mention it, I'll try keep this in mind. Is there a way to test
it manually, so start the ventilation with some instruction?

Ask the list, I have only been using linux on pbooks for a week ;-) I
don't think the message you sent me was sent to the list, so maybe you
should resend it because they could help you better.

I'm also somekind a newby. So I like Debian and the apt concetpt and all. But most important is a stable system. Thats why in the moment I ended up using OS X as mainsystem. But on the Wallstreet (secondary maschine) there's still sarge running and not suprising good and stable. Only the Hard disk space with 2Gigs - 200 OS9 - 200 Swap is a bit too low. And I hope to get the new processor for it soon, so it get's a good, fast Linux maschine....

I'll also do that, but I can't believe that this causes the problem, the memory is brand new and worked real fine. Don't memory problems cause the maschine to act weired from the startup, so in my experience it's unusual for a memory problem that the maschine runs fine for several hours without
anything funny happening. correct me if I'm wrong.

No, it is not necessary that failures occur at boot time.  Did you
have this problem before putting in that brand new memory?

So OS9 crashed sometimes, so I didn't mind, I got used to this at universaty working with Blue and WHite Macs ;-) They crash perodically thanks to their built in failures

Tamas

PS.: I suggest that we continue on the list, so I sent this message
there too.

Sorry didn't recognise that I was sending off list!