Re: ***appletalk.ko & ipddp.ko***

On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 09:28:24AM -0800, Kim Cascone wrote:

> 	- I went in and removed two files from the kernal:
> 		- appletalk.ko
> 		- ipddp.ko

Oh! If these files were in something like
/lib/modules/<your-kernel>/kernel/net/appletalk/appletalk.ko
and something similar to this for ipddp.ko then you probably just
deleted some kernel drivers ...

> - when I rebooted everything seemed to be OK although it still tried
> to set up services for Appletalk but timed out and booted OK -
> meaning all my settings and most of the software seemed to work OK
> (Firefox, Evolution, Open Office, Synaptic Package manager, and most
> of the system applets seemed fine on cursory examination)
> - so my questions are now:
> 	- should I replace the two appletalk .ko files I removed? if so,
> 	how? from the source of the kernel? or is there some other way
> 	to fix this?

I'd ask the package management system to check its own status:
dpkg -C
What does it tell you?

If it won't make any suggestions I'd try to reinstall the kernel:

The dry-run (nothing should be changed with the following because of
the --simulate flag):

apt-get --simulate --reinstall install <your-kernel>

To really try to reinstall it re-run the command above without the
"--simulate" option ...

After this:

Don't forget to compare your yaboot.conf to the files in / and /boot,
or wherever you have your kernel or initrd or whatever ...

If you think all's OK with them I'd run again
ybin -v

> 	-  now that I removed the two (most likely culprits) netatalk dirs
> this has now created a problem with the package manager i.e. it can't
> remove the package but it sees that some of the bits are still
> there...how would I use 'apt-get' to correct this situation? will it
> remove partial packages? if not what utility would handle this?
> 	- is there a rescue package for handling this sort of muck up that I
> can use for correcting things?

.. the same: I'd try to reinstall the netatalk package the same way as
suggested above for the kernel ...

With no guarantees it will work ... :)

Good luck
  Wolfgang