Re: RAID on PPC was: 64bit PPC and Debian

On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 06:54:24PM +0100, Gunnar von Boehn wrote:
} >Well, i am having some trouble getting a DPT (now adaptec) smartraid V
} >scsi controller seeing my disks on pegasos, but i guess a OF-supported
} >pmac scsi card would have both less trouble, and be way more expensive.
}
} Me thinks the question is if there is ANY SCSI Raid which is known to
} work on PowerPC ?
}
} Does someone know a working SCSI Raid card?

I have a RAID working nicely on my ancient PPC 604 @ 180MHz, but I am using
Linux's software RAID, an Adaptec SCSI card, and an external RAID rack. I
am also not booting from the RAID. This may sound like an inefficient
setup, but even with an encryption loop on top of the RAID I can serve a
filesystem on the RAID over NFS and be able to play MPEGs from it on my
other computers without any skipping or stalling.

I've never much cared for the idea of root on RAID anyway, nor RAID on
internal disks, so this system is ideal for me. YMMV.

} Cheers
} Gunnar
--Greg