Time to switch?

I have been using Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 on my old Powermac 9500 for quite a while. Except for problems with serial-port printing, I have been happy with it. Now, with the new 4.0 release, YDL has ceased to "officially" support pre-G3 machines. This says to me, "You're on your own, Jack." Is Debian now a better choice for those of us who are still using BootX to dual-boot Linux on old world machines?

I am using the kernel argument: video=atyfb:vmode:13,cmode:32 successfully with YDL and have X up and running just fine. Will that work for Debian, as well?

Any advice is welcome.

Tom