Re: "Debian Within a Darwin System"

Derrik Pates <dpates@dsdk12.net> writes:

> Scott Henson wrote:
>> I think Im going to have to find a spare box to install Darwin on.
>> Unfortunately its going to be an x86 box because my ibook doesn't have
>> the hard drive space for a Darwin install.
>
> You mean you have an x86 box with one of the two IDE controllers or
> the one or two SCSI controllers that Darwin/i386 actually can use? :)
> Its hardware support on i386 is horribly anemic; and the hardware it
> _does_ use, it uses obscure features of, making virtualization
> solutions like VMware not work. Though Darwin/i386 does run (though
> slowly) under qemu...

I work for the csee department here and we have tons of hardware
laying around including some old powermac 7500 and a quadra something
or another.  Im pretty sure we have some hardware laying around
somewhere that will have hardware that is supported by X86 darwin,
otherwise I think Im going to try to install on the powermac or
quadra(no clue what this is) but I hear that installing on oldworld
powermacs is a bitch and I would rather do it on the plentiful x86
hardware we have here.

--
Scott Henson <scotth@csee.wvu.edu>