Re: Debian support for the lastest Powerbook 12" (1,33Ghz)

Le vendredi 07/02/04 Luis Sanjuan <lj.sanjuan@ya.com> a écrit :
> FYI. From kernel Documentation:
>
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_PROC_INTF:
>
> This enables the /proc/cpufreq interface for controlling
> CPUFreq. Please note that it is recommended to use the sysfs
> interface instead (which is built automatically).
>
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_24_API:
>
> This enables the /proc/sys/cpu/ sysctl interface for controlling
> the CPUFreq,"userspace" governor. This is the same interface
> as known from the 2.4.-kernel patches for CPUFreq, and offers
> the same functionality as long as "userspace" is the
> selected governor for the specified CPU.
>
> I assume that different interfaces are not incompatible.

Yes, I also think so because I already use the two interfaces in
parallel on other computers (x86).

> Can you see anything on /proc/sys/cpu ?

gotan:/proc/sys/cpu# find
.
./0
./0/speed
./0/speed-min
./0/speed-max
gotan:/proc/sys/cpu# cat 0/*
0
0
0
gotan:/proc/sys/cpu#

> Are you sure you are using a freq control program and add the
> corresponding modules.

gotan:/proc/sys/cpu# lsmod | grep freq
cpufreq_powersave       2016  0
cpufreq_userspace      10104  0

I don't use any freq control program yet.

> What is the output of your /proc/cpuinfo ?

gotan:/proc/sys/cpu# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
cpu             : 7447A, altivec supported
clock           : 1333MHz
revision        : 1.1 (pvr 8003 0101)
bogomips        : 663.55
machine         : PowerBook6,4
motherboard     : PowerBook6,4 MacRISC3 Power Macintosh
detected as     : 287 (Unknown Intrepid-based)
pmac flags      : 00000008
L2 cache        : 512K unified
memory          : 512MB
pmac-generation : NewWorld

What is yours? My understanding is that my CPU ID (PowerBook6,4) is not
yet supported by the Linux kernel because in
linux-2.6.7/arch/ppc/platforms/pmac_cpufreq.c I see :

|           /* Check for newer machines */
|           if (machine_is_compatible("PowerBook3,4") ||
|               machine_is_compatible("PowerBook3,5") ||
|               machine_is_compatible("MacRISC3")) {

But some people seems to have their Powerbook 12" 867Mhz supported (by
cpufreq) which have a cpuinfo that give :

cpu             : 7455, altivec supported
clock           : 53MHz
revision        : 3.3 (pvr 8001 0303)
bogomips        : 51.90
machine         : PowerBook6,1
motherboard     : PowerBook6,1 MacRISC3 Power Macintosh
detected as     : 271 (Unknown Pangea-based)
pmac flags      : 00000008
L2 cache        : 256K unified
memory          : 384MB
pmac-generation : NewWorld

So I supposed it's the MacRISC3 compatibilty mode that must be used in
cpufreq code, but it doesn't seems to work with my CPU...

--
Djoumé SALVETTI