Re: Installing on a dual G5

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 05:54:40PM +0200, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> Colin Watson writes:
> > Either of the images in
> > http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/sid_d-i/powerpc/20040622/
> > ought to work.
> >
> > Installation reports, successful or otherwise, gratefully appreciated.
>
> I just tried the above-mentioned cdimage on yorick.  install-power4
> hangs when trying to load the floppy driver.

I stopped hw-detect from loading floppy on newworld systems ages ago.
However, Sven's images (used by the sid_d-i CDs) are broken: according
to the initrd.list files, they include an ancient version of hw-detect,
namely 0.86, which dates from mid-April. This puzzles me because the
build logs appear to say that it's doing the right thing. Sven, could
you please look into this? If it's too hard to fix, I have a daily build
running now and we could make the sid_d-i images use mine instead for
the time being.

> install-power4-2.6 doesn't detect the keyboard and therefore sits
> forever at the country chooser.

What sort of keyboard is it?

> Is there anything I can do to help fix this?  Like, I go to yorick at
> an appointed time, we meet on IRC, you build a netboot image, I test
> it and provide feedback, we repeat until it runs?

We can certainly arrange that, but I'm not feeling very well today so
let's try a couple of rounds of information-gathering first. :)