Re: Installing on a dual G5

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 11:05:07AM +0200, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> Miro Jurišić writes:
> > What's the current story on getting Debian installed on G5s?
>
> My latest experience, dating back a few months, involved netboot [1].
> But d-i has come a long way since, so I expect you will be able to use
> d-i.  In any case, you should be able to use d-i on the G5, so please
> stay tuned until your problem is solved.
>
> > I have not been able to find an ISO that will boot the machine (I
> > have tried d-i beta 4, d-i test candidate 1, d-i current as of
> > 6/22/04, and
>
> Make sure you select a power4 flavour - that's what the machine's
> processor really is, despite Apple calling it G5.  If it still doesn't
> boot, tell us how *exactly* it doesn't boot.
>
> > 2.6.6-g5 kernel
>
> That whole package was an ugly hack to work around a kernel bug.  It
> has gone in the latest revisions, so don't use it.  On a dual G5, you
> want power4-smp.

Yup. You'll very likely need to use a "sid_d-i" build, though; I only
made those changes five days ago, so they won't be in the "sarge_d-i" ==
"daily" builds yet. Either of the images in
http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/sid_d-i/powerpc/20040622/
ought to work.

Installation reports, successful or otherwise, gratefully appreciated.
Please make sure you say from exactly which URL you downloaded the
image.

Cheers,