Re: Installing on a dual G5

Hi,

Miro Jurišić writes:

> What's the current story on getting Debian installed on G5s?

My latest experience, dating back a few months, involved netboot [1].
But d-i has come a long way since, so I expect you will be able to use
d-i.  In any case, you should be able to use d-i on the G5, so please
stay tuned until your problem is solved.

> I have not been able to find an ISO that will boot the machine (I
> have tried d-i beta 4, d-i test candidate 1, d-i current as of
> 6/22/04, and

Make sure you select a power4 flavour - that's what the machine's
processor really is, despite Apple calling it G5.  If it still doesn't
boot, tell us how *exactly* it doesn't boot.

> 2.6.6-g5 kernel

That whole package was an ugly hack to work around a kernel bug.  It
has gone in the latest revisions, so don't use it.  On a dual G5, you
want power4-smp.

Regards, Jens.

[1] based on a hacked DHCP-server, a hacked yaboot, and a custom built
    kernel, to be precise.  Not pretty.

--
J'qbpbe, le m'en fquz pe j'qbpbe!