Re: iBook 800Mhz G3 fan on a lot

According to float@lefant.net, on Fri, 28 May 2004 13:05:03 +0200,
>On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 11:45:35AM +0200, Cedric Pradalier wrote:
>>
>> Many thanks for testing.
>>
>you're welcome,
>
>only thing fan doesn't seem to stop anymore
>
>bash-2.05b$ cat /sys/devices/temperatures/info*
>T:52.500°C S:56°C R:10°C
>T:45.625°C S:50°C R:10°C
>
>values were like this for quite some time (went shoping) but fan is
>still blowing on what i assume low speed
>
>so when is it supposed to turne of?

This is due to a spec of the adm1030 chip. To avoid switching on and off
the fan, it does not stop before reaching 5 degrees below its starting
point. That's why I use 52. On my ibook it's quite easy to go below 47.
Unfortunately, this is not accessible in the chip parameters.

On osx, I guess they use software control of the chip and stop the fan
earlier. This should be possible here (on the model of Colin's
therm_adt7...), but I prefer not to use my cpu for this.

--
Cedric

"[Of course] I'm French! Why do think I have this outrageous
accent, you silly king-a?!"  Monty Python and the Holy Grail