Re: Meta Alt oh my! (long)

On Mon, 2003-08-18 at 19:10, Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra
wrote:
> Em Seg, 2003-08-18 às 18:11, Michel Dänzer escreveu:
> >
> 	BTW, is there a way of initiating a third server without restarting the
> already existing ones?

Sure, you can use gdmflexiserver if you have set up flexible servers in
the gdm configuration, or log in to a console and do

startx -- :2

or

xinit /path/to/session/manager -- :2

> > The logs don't lie
>
> 	I hope that's true in X.  I wouldn't hold it as absolute truth, from
> the experience I have with other systems.

I meant X server logs specifically. I have been making very good
experience in this regard (I don't remember a single case where I
couldn't trust X server log output, but maybe I'm just good at
suppressing those memories ;).

> > the keyboard configuration was always identical on
> > server startup (unless the logs contained a relevant difference you
> > didn't post), the difference was likely caused by a client.
>
> 	OK, which clients could be those, and how to investigate the
> possibilities?

Frank made good suggestions for this.

> 	And why they would be OK now, since the only thing I am conscient of
> having changed was the given lines in XF86Config-4?

That's perhaps the most interesting question. :) Not really more tricky
than why the old settings wouldn't always cause the same behaviour
though.