Re: ReiserFS on blank hard drive

On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 11:38:18AM +0200, Just a friendly Jedi Knight wrote:
> On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 03:43:37PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> >
> > you are looking for more reliability and stability, that is not
> > something you can really expect from any of the journalling
> > filesystems quite yet.  yes yes some people love to say IWFM, but
> > there are plenty of others with horror stories too.
>  I think that Ethan is a bit generalizing this time. OK reiserfs might not be
>  the best choice, ext3 is not here yet.. But there is also XFS and i think
>  that it's 10 years or so of developement should be taken under consideration
>  (i don't know how long it's been developed i just remeber some saying
>  something about 10 years). XFS 1.0 is out there and it integrates and
>  compiles cleanly (at least with APUS tree which is somewhat based on BK i
>  think). All the tools are there and since 1.2.5 work on PPC too. Just give
>  it a try =o)) Patching kernel source with XFS is not hard =o)
>  Right now i'm using both XFS and reiserfs (each on partition around 7g) i
>  had one crash so far and was really amazed (fscking these partitions under
>  ext2 always took ages.. my Amiga has only PIO-0 mode IDE interface...)

i agree that XFS is probably going to show to be the most stable,
reliable and mature over reiser and ext3.  it has been pointed out
though that the linux port is alot of new code, so there is certainly
potential for bugs there too.   i think XFS is certianly at a better
stage to be included in the kernel then reiser was/is when it went in...

> as for making apt to remount rw before and ro after upgrading put this
>
> DPkg::Pre-Invoke {"mount -o remount,rw /usr";};
> DPkg::Post-Invoke {"mount -o remount,ro /usr";};
> DPkg::RunDirectory "/";

what does that RunDirectory "/"; do?

BTW: your Mail-Followup-To header is broken, there is no such user
`jedi' on this machine ;-)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/