Re: ReiserFS on blank hard drive

On Sunday 13 May 2001 22:18, Jason E. Stewart wrote:
> "Philipp von Weitershausen" <philikon@gmx.net> writes:
> > I installed Debian from the official Potato-CD-Set and distupgraded
> > to woody.  I've no idea though how to install Debian on a ReiserFS
> > system on a blank hard drive. I mean, I obviously cannot just use
> > another set of boot floopies like I could on a PC laptop.
> >
> > I'd appreciate some hints about how to get Debian successfully
> > running on a ReiserFS system. How do I have to set partitions best?
> > What about a dual install - MacOS and Linux? Does yaboot need an
> > extra ext2 partition like lilo does?
>
> Sorry Phil, I don't understand. If you already have debian installed
> on your internal drive, all you need to do is partition the blank
> drive with as many partitions as you want, and then create the
> filesystems you want on those partititions. If you want to use them
> for MacOS, use 'hformat' to put an HFS partition, and if you want
> ReiserFS then use mkreiserfs.
>
> Why would you need to install any OS? Presumably your internal drive
> already has both MacOS and linux, yes?

Okay, I didn't make it clear enough: I have a Pismo with the original 6 gig
hard drive. Now, having to have both operating systems installed, that is way
to small for the operations that I do. Thus I need a bigger drive _instead_
of the 6 gig one. My question is: how would I get reiserfs partitions on the
drive and then, how would I get my system on them?

But, looking at the on-going discussion, it doesn't seem to be wise using
reiserfs. I can partially understand Ethan's `but you have to wait for fsck
when you pull the plug' whine problem, but sometimes, my Pismo doesn't wakeup
from a snooze, thus, it'll fsck the next boot and that costs battery power. I
don't want to think about a 20 gig hard drive being fsck'ed...

Is there really no other way? What are these developers doing all day?
Shouldn't they be fixing the bugs in reiser or porting ext3 to kernel 2.4?
Somebody give those people a job! (just kidding, you know...)

I guess I'll stay with ext2 then. /bin/ls in my source code is really no risk
that I wanna take.
Thanks though,

Phil

--