Re: Executing shell scripts on the linux server from the mac-side.

On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 11:42:28AM +0200, Gjermund Gusland Thorsen wrote:
> Hmm? is there a thing in the sisterhood of crontab that can trigger
  scripts on changes in for example number of files in a folder? the problem
  is that I have these scripts running every 15 mins now? and I?d like
  them to run only when they have to.

crontab does what cron is supposed to, run scheduled jobs, if you need to run
some given job and only you can work out when they need to be run
(infrequently) then just ssh into the machine and runb the things. If you have
some program that tells you when to run the jobs, put that on the machine and
have it run from cron, it can run the jobs if it is supposed to.

Anyway if the jobs can be run more frequently than you wish with no bad side
effects (sort of idempotent or whatever) then why not just leave them
ruinnning every 15 minutes or whatever? the computer is there to do work.

        See You
            Steve

--
sjh@wibble.net http://wibble.net/~sjh/