Re: XFS Install (was: HFS+ (MacOS) in contrast to EXT2 (Linux-i386))

At 12:14 PM +0200 9/19/01, Sven wrote:

huh ? where did you looked at it ? i just found

ftp://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/download/Release-1.0.1/kernel_patches

which has 2.4.5 only.

That said, on the download page, you can read :

XFS patches are also available in Debian-unstable ("Sid")

which seem to be for the 2.4.5 kernel also, maintained by Ed Boraas.

The link to Mark Pinto's provided unofficial debian package's is broken
though.

Friendly,

Sven Luther

http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/patchlist.html

has a list of patches that can be applied against various kernels. The XFS code hasn't changed on any of them, just the kernel it's patched against.

Using the 2.4.10pre10 kernel patched with XFS finally compiled successfully (at least with gcc 3, I forgot to change my gcc symlink before testing it).

There is also a pre11 kernel patch, but no XFS patch for that yet (probably be up today or tomorrow from looking at the lag they've been having).

Time to give this new kernel a whirl (it's a 2.4.10pre10 from kernel.org patched with XFS from S.GI, no debian patches applied, and compiled with gcc 3.0.1 -- anyone care to place bets if this will even boot? and if it does, how long before I start having weird errors?)

Kevin