Re: HFS+ (MacOS) in contrast to EXT2 (Linux-i386)

On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 02:21:37AM +0200, Michel D?nzer wrote:
> Laurent de Segur wrote:
>
> > It's too bad that the XFS module (at least on ppc) is not part of the
> > pre-compiled kernel image (ReiserFS is),
>
> Not really, you still need patches (at least Alan Cox's) to use ReiserFS on
> big endian systems.

Do the -ac kernels compile and work on ppc now?

> > and that the XFS kernel patches lag a few kernel revs behind, making it
> > mostly obsolete by the time you have to install it on the latest 2.4 kernel
>
> Not my experience, when I looked more than a week ago, their FTP site already
> had patches for early .10-pre versions.
>
> XFS can't be merged into 2.4 because there are too many changes, but it will
> hopefully be merged in during 2.5 .

DevFS was merged late in 2.3
ReiserFS was merged in 2.4.1
A mostly new VM was merged in 2.4.10pre11

I think XFS and ext3 may have good chances of a merge.

Who can say when the major VM changes were merged into 2.3?  Wasn't there a
lot done in 2.4-test?  I remember reading kernel-traffic around that time,
but not earlier...

Mike