A couple of more issues...

Hi,

Okay, I got the new kernel 2.4.8-powerpc image installed on top of testing
(woody). I start to like this apt-get dpkg stuff. Coming from rpm, it was
somewhat hard to get used to. But I can see why people who have been using
it for a while, say good things about it.

About kernel 2.4.8 installed running on iBook 2001 (marble aka p29):

- There is some garbage just after kernel starts booting. By garbage I mean
some green semi-graphic rectangular shape in the middle of the display.
Reminds me the TRS-80 (these were the good old days...)

- I get a couple of pcmcia error messages at the end of the kernel startup:
i82365.o and ds.o complain about no such device and operation not permitted
respectively. No big deal but I didn't get that previously. IMHO, if I do an
install of a powerpc kernel, modules should be able to cope with any ppc
platforms without throwing error messages.

- The penguin logo is still sitting at the top left corner all the time,
blocking about 4 lines of screen. I can't get rid of it. I tried everything
in yaboot.conf (video=ofonly, video=atyfb, video=aty128fb in various
combinations). Looks like an add banner in my console. I wonder what is
causing it to happen. At one point I didn't have that, that was with 2.2.19
I think (there have been so many configs I tried... I kinda forgot.)

- Finally X windows won't start up. Period. It has nothing to do with kernel
2.4.8. It has been like that even since I did the update to woody. If I
enter the command startx, it tells me that it can't stat /etc/X11/X. All of
that after a simple testing upgrade on top of stable (which I need because
XF86 3.x won't work with aty128 on iBook.) What's weird is that I had to go
and edit the inittab to bump the run level from 2->5. Installing X, I
thought that it would do that for me. I thought wrong.

Voila. I really hope that I can get some if not all of these problems
resolved soon so I can one day enjoy running debian. Thanks for letting me
know if you have any suggestions. I certainly greatly appreciate your help.

Laurent