Re: Difficulty installing woody OR potato on Beige G3

ozymandias G desiderata wrote:

> Sorry to follow up my own post, but you know how it is...
>
> On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 09:37:03PM -0700, ozymandias G desiderata wrote:
> > In any case, I was able to get the base distribution installed via the
> > potato boot-floppies, leaving only the problem with the potato ofpath
> > not liking the beige 266's hardware tree. If I know which partition my
> > root is (/dev/hda2), could anybody maybe just tell me what the
> > appropriate goop to pass to nvsetenv is? Barring that, anyone have a
> > handy binary for ofpath that groks beige G3-land (in case your memory
> > needs refreshing, this particular problem last cropped up in a similar
> > thread in January -- I do try to use the archives)? I'll poke around,
> > but I'd sorta like to get this finished.
>
> I was able to extract a newer ofpath from the most recent yaboot deb
> and get it onto the semi-configured G3 in question. I then issued the
> command
>
> nvsetenv boot-device `./ofpath /dev/hda2`

you probably want

nvsetenv boot-device `ofpath /dev/hda`0

> and rebooted, having already run the "make disk bootable" step two or
> three times. Even on potato boot-floppies, that will have run quik,
> right? What happens when I reboot is disheartening -- the system goes
> autistic on me. No boot screen, and no signal to the monitor. Ho-kay.
> If I try booting into Open Firmware, the boot-device variable looks
> right, but if I issue the 'boot' command OF replies that it can't open
> the device. What have I overlooked?
>
> Once again, I apologize for imposing on everyone like this, but the
> install documentation is really unclear on this part, and in the
> absence of functional woody boot-floppies I have to keep trying to
> kludge my way to victory.

Sounds like something I saw on the History Channel.  But, no, the
potato install doesn't run quik.  It's lying.  But it's a
white/beige lie.  You have to do it yourself.  Make sure the
quik.conf file is correct first.

Try reading the quik and nvsetenv man pages from beginning to end,
again, if necessary.  It took about three times for me because I
found the old/new world thing so confusing at first.

PS This from Ethan Benson, 2/17/01: