Re: Difficulty installing woody OR potato on Beige G3

Sorry to follow up my own post, but you know how it is...

On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 09:37:03PM -0700, ozymandias G desiderata wrote:
> In any case, I was able to get the base distribution installed via the
> potato boot-floppies, leaving only the problem with the potato ofpath
> not liking the beige 266's hardware tree. If I know which partition my
> root is (/dev/hda2), could anybody maybe just tell me what the
> appropriate goop to pass to nvsetenv is? Barring that, anyone have a
> handy binary for ofpath that groks beige G3-land (in case your memory
> needs refreshing, this particular problem last cropped up in a similar
> thread in January -- I do try to use the archives)? I'll poke around,
> but I'd sorta like to get this finished.

I was able to extract a newer ofpath from the most recent yaboot deb
and get it onto the semi-configured G3 in question. I then issued the
command

nvsetenv boot-device `./ofpath /dev/hda2`

and rebooted, having already run the "make disk bootable" step two or
three times. Even on potato boot-floppies, that will have run quik,
right? What happens when I reboot is disheartening -- the system goes
autistic on me. No boot screen, and no signal to the monitor. Ho-kay.
If I try booting into Open Firmware, the boot-device variable looks
right, but if I issue the 'boot' command OF replies that it can't open
the device. What have I overlooked?

Once again, I apologize for imposing on everyone like this, but the
install documentation is really unclear on this part, and in the
absence of functional woody boot-floppies I have to keep trying to
kludge my way to victory.

--
       . . . the self-reflecting image of a narcotized mind . . .
ozymandias G desiderata     ogd@aoaioxxysz.net     desperate, deathless