Re: airport / pcmcia ?

EMail from Steven Hanley <sjh@svana.org> to DebianPPC <debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org> with message <[🔎] 20010821003350.A16845@shiva.marian>
On Tue, 21 Aug 2001 00:33:50 +1000 Steven Hanley wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 04:14:50PM +0200, Michael Flaig wrote:
> > Hi !
> >
> > Has anybody Airport ?
>
> card or access point?

both ... or is there a better access point and card ?

> I have the card, works fine at home in ibss mode with a d-link card in an x86

what do you mean with ibss ?

> box, at work we have an aironet access point and an apple airport base
> station, both of which also work fine with the airport card in my laptop.

cool :-)

> > I want to buy Airport but don_t know if the support is good. Does Linux support all airport features ?
> > Do I need MacOS for Airport, because I_m about to kick it soon (need more space for GNU/Linux :-)) )
> > Are there special tools for airport ?
>
> no need for macos, the card is fully supported in linux (well you may need
> macos to update the firmware on the card, I have not worked that one out in
> linux yet) as for airport base station support, there is a neat java client
> for that iin which you can do any airtport base station configuration,
> including updating the base station firmware. so no need for macos to interact
> with the base stations either :)

so I should first update the firmware and then delete macos ... :-)

> > My hardware is Pismo 400Mhz ... Debian GNU/Linux sid
> >
> > Is there any known problem with airport and GNU/Linux ?
>
> from time to time the driver may have issues, but generally they get fixed
> fast and it works again. so no problems
>

> > And my last question, because I heard and read that i need pcmcia, which modules do i need to get the pcmcia slot to work ( evtl for gsm card !? don_t know, yet) ?
>
> you dont need pcmcia installed or anything, the airport card is not a pcmcia
> card and is initialised seperately to pcmcia services. just modprobe airport
> should work.
>
> > Have 2.4.8-pre3-benh ... newer benh doesn_t compile without smp ... don_t know why ...
>
> well someone else on this list has had a problem with the most recent benh
> kernel and airport, I have 2.4.6 benh working perfectly with it.
>
> > Is Airport a security problem ? how good is encryption and can i configure a
>   password ?
>
> WEP is a joke, do not use WEP for encryption, either just use no encryption at
> all or set up proper point to point encrypted tunnels (VPN), I use CIPE for
> this purpose which is incredibly easy to set up on linux and works pretty much
> flawlessly.

Well ... no encryption is bad :-( Everyone with a laptop in front of my door could sniff my network, or isn´t it so easy ?

so you build vpn between you and ?! access point or gateway route !? how does this work ...
i thought vpn is point to point so you have to build a tunnel to the other point you want to connect !?

or is it possible to tunnel only the short path from card to access point or router ?

thanks,

michael