Re: airport / pcmcia ?

On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 04:14:50PM +0200, Michael Flaig wrote:
> Hi !
>
> Has anybody Airport ?

card or access point?

I have the card, works fine at home in ibss mode with a d-link card in an x86
box, at work we have an aironet access point and an apple airport base
station, both of which also work fine with the airport card in my laptop.

> I want to buy Airport but don´t know if the support is good. Does Linux support all airport features ?
> Do I need MacOS for Airport, because I´m about to kick it soon (need more space for GNU/Linux :-)) )
> Are there special tools for airport ?

no need for macos, the card is fully supported in linux (well you may need
macos to update the firmware on the card, I have not worked that one out in
linux yet) as for airport base station support, there is a neat java client
for that iin which you can do any airtport base station configuration,
including updating the base station firmware. so no need for macos to interact
with the base stations either :)

> My hardware is Pismo 400Mhz ... Debian GNU/Linux sid
>
> Is there any known problem with airport and GNU/Linux ?

from time to time the driver may have issues, but generally they get fixed
fast and it works again. so no problems

> And my last question, because I heard and read that i need pcmcia, which modules do i need to get the pcmcia slot to work ( evtl for gsm card !? don´t know, yet) ?

you dont need pcmcia installed or anything, the airport card is not a pcmcia
card and is initialised seperately to pcmcia services. just modprobe airport
should work.

> Have 2.4.8-pre3-benh ... newer benh doesn´t compile without smp ... don´t know why ...

well someone else on this list has had a problem with the most recent benh
kernel and airport, I have 2.4.6 benh working perfectly with it.

> Is Airport a security problem ? how good is encryption and can i configure a
  password ?

WEP is a joke, do not use WEP for encryption, either just use no encryption at
all or set up proper point to point encrypted tunnels (VPN), I use CIPE for
this purpose which is incredibly easy to set up on linux and works pretty much
flawlessly.

        See You
            Steve

--