fail to boot on harddrive with a Performa 6400

Hi everybody,

Could someone help me for the following problem, please?

I am a system administrator in a University and I tried to install Debian
PPC (potato and woody) on some Performa 6400... the installation went
relatively well with the potato boot floppies, but I have been unable to make
it boot from the harddrive.
I would like to use quik and not BootX since I don't want to let MacOS
available on them.

I have tried any possible configuration or trick from a lot of documentation sources:
http://penguinppc.org/usr/quik
http://penguinppc.org/usr/quik/quirks.shtml
http://lppcfom.sourceforge.net/
etc...

(the Open Firmware on Performa 6400 is 2.0)

Some people reported success making it boot (but maybe not with quik).

I saw that I should change load-base to 100000, keep input-device and output-device
to ttya, I removed the modem to see if it would change something, I upgraded to
woody to have a newer version of quik...

BTW quik runs without problems:

mac-performa2:~# quik -vf
Second-stage loader is on /dev/hda6
Config file is on partition 6
Writing first-stage QUIK boot block to /dev/hda6
Making /dev/hda6 bootable (map entry 6)
Writing block table to boot block on /dev/hda6

All I can get at best when every parameter seemed ok, is a weird screen at boot with
black and white horizontal lines. Sometimes it displays what seems to be some
characters, but really really scrambled. But it never boots. It stops just there, at the
very beginning of the boot.

I tried to use the video parameters that seemed the most comptible:
video=ofonly or atyfb. I tried to use a kernel from a linuxppc bootable cd which boots
well, but once on the harddrive the result is the same as with the default woody
kernel: the black and white lines (most of the time) or the scrambled characters.

here are some more infos about my config:

--- quik.conf ------------------
root=/dev/hda6
append="video=ofonly"
timeout=20
image=/boot/vmlinux-2.2.19
label=Linux
read-only
--------------------------------

----- mac-fdisk ----------------
/dev/hda
        #                    type name                length   base    ( size )  system
/dev/hda1     Apple_partition_map Apple                   63 @ 1       ( 31.5k)  Partition map
/dev/hda2          Apple_Driver43 Macintosh               64 @ 64      ( 32.0k)  Driver 4.3
/dev/hda3        Apple_Driver_ATA Macintosh               64 @ 128     ( 32.0k)  Unknown
/dev/hda4           Apple_Patches Patch Partition        512 @ 192     (256.0k)  Unknown
/dev/hda5         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap                260000 @ 704     (127.0M)  Linux swap
/dev/hda6         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /                  3073760 @ 260704  (  1.5G)  Linux native

Block size=512, Number of Blocks=3334463
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0
Drivers-
1: @ 64 for 20, type=0x1
2: @ 128 for 31, type=0x701