Re: distribution of 2.4.x source for PPC (Re: Install on UATA)

On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 06:26:33AM -0700, Andrew Sharp wrote:

> I didn't mean to say they did.  What I meant was that the kernel for
> making the miboot  boot floppy is supposed to be part of the
> kernel-image package for pmac-old.  The kernel for the miboot floppy
> is really the exact same kernel, except gzipped and in coff format.

is there any difference between the OpenFirmware coff kernel and the
miboot coff kernel?

as far as kernel-image boot-floppy goes, it should either:

1: make a OpenFirmware bootable floppy
2: not bother

i will force option 2 if something isn't done one way or another in
kernel-package (by creating /etc/kernel-img.conf in dbootstrap's quik
setup).

> Oops, guess what.  The sparc world has it's head up its
> you-know-what right now too!  Try getting a 2.4.x kernel to work on
> sparc32.  They can't seem to get a kernel to work on v8 SPARC
> machines, and guess what?  Hardly anyone seems to care beyond being
> sympathetic.  Seems all the kernel developers have ultraSPARCs and
> can't be bothered with us old folk.  Tsk-tsk.

the same will likely happen with oldworld powermacs at some point, i
know i am sick to hell of dealing with that broken mess that is the
OldWorld subarch.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/