Re: distribution of 2.4.x source for PPC (Re: Install on UATA)

On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 05:35:09PM -0700, Tom Rini wrote:

> Well, the chrp package can contain 3, the pmac 3 (I don't know if the
> miboot image should be included or not..) and PReP 1.

no don't bother with the miboot image, miboot is not a supported nor
usable bootloader its not worth bothering with outside of
boot-floppies.  (it just uses the vmlinux anyway no?)

> Or at least rm the extras.  We'll see...

that would still suck since you still have to download it.  not all of
us have nice internet connections remember...

> > why can't yaboot/quik use the arch/ppc/boot/vmlinux.elf-pmac image?
>
> For the same reason it can't use arch/ppc/boot/vmlinux.coff.  Both of
> those want a plan old vmlinux, which that file isn't.

i see.  im tempted to just say only include kernels for yaboot/quik.
booting directly via OF is a specialized thing and i don't see any
problem with requiring users who want to do that to build thier own
kernel.  (maybe make it some sort of build time config option in
make-kpkg).

or perhaps teach yaboot/quik/silo to boot the OF images...

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/