Re: docs on compiling kernels for miboot?

On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 06:39:45AM -0700, Andrew Sharp wrote:

> OMG, I forgot about apus.  I give up.  As for zImage, let's strickly
> stick to ppc, zImage is the compressed coff format kernel which has
> only one single use that I know of, and that is for the miboot

guess what? your wrong, at least as far as 2.2 is concerned (i don't
see why 2.4 would be different):

eb@socrates eb$ grep linux src/boot-floppies/powerpc-specials/miBoot/mkboot.sh
hcopy -r linuxpmac.gz :zImage

for those not working in the gory mess of boot-floppies, linuxpmac.gz
is an ELF image NOT a coff image, the coff image is created as linux.coff.

> floppy.  SPARC doesn't even need to compress their kernels, damnit.
> vmlinux.gz is the elf format kernel compressed with gz and I'll be
> damned if I know what that is for.  Maybe bootx can handle those.

saves space on the small root filesystem, saves time on slow tftp
netboots.

> But why would you if you didn't have to, unless you really are that
> short on disk space or were being forced to put it on a floppy (for
> xfer) or something.

why would you not want to compress the kernel image?  its not like it
does anything useful if you execute it from a shell, other then dump
core.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/